Friday 17 July 2015

Resolved Sample - Revisited

I received feedback on my work yesterday it was suggested to me that the criss-crossing of the shapes on my resolved sample were perhaps over-complicating matters and detracting from stitching underneath.  When I went back to look at the sample with fresh eyes (having put it away as quickly as possible after doing it because I didn't like it).  The idea behind the different wrappings was to demonstrate the different techniques in the module (I realise now that that was a touch unnecessary).  I unlaced the sample from the board and removed all the wrappings that I could (I left one as it was too difficult to remove it!).  It was also suggested that using a green thread and stitching the pink base layer in the same way as I had on the green sections would tie the pieces together and also lesson the clash.  It was difficult to do as the green pieces were well secured so I stitched around them.  I found that the fabric puckered (as it would do with this way of stitching) and I quite like that even when re-laced it gives the base layer some texture.  I also took the opportunity to replace the middle bead (I really didn't like it with fresh eyes - it was too big, too garish and reminded me, quite frankly, of a nipple!  Albeit a very sunburnt one!) with one that was a more suitable size.  I couldn't find one in the colour that I felt most appropriate so I attacked it with orange and yellow acrylic paint and then laced green thread over it so that it tied in with both the top and bottom layers of the piece.

Image 1 - Finished revised resolved sample after re-lacing onto board:

Resolved sample revisited

I also had a bash at taking a photo of me working on the piece for authentication of the work but it is hard to do on your own.  I've included my effort anyway but I suspect it's not good enough!

Image 2 - Me (how embarrassing)!

Resolved sample revisited 

I do like the resolved sample a lot more now and learnt quite a bit from taking the time to revisit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment