Friday 17 July 2015

Resolved Piece - further information

I learnt a very valuable lesson yesterday - that unless I actually share all of my work and give further explanations I can expect lots of questions which have answers that I could have given in advance!  I didn't really demonstrate that I did much preparation work for my resolved piece.  I did do quite a few sketches in a book (I uploaded the pics to flickr but forgot to add them into my blog entries!  Dur!).  In my design sketches I played around with ideas - firstly for a fascinator and then for a floral brooch.  In the end I combined the ideas.

Image 1 - Page of design doodles:

Design work for headpiece


Image 2 - Page of design doodles with felt roving, ideas for threads to use and a mock-up felt petal to see what I needed to do to create a 3d shape to it:

Design work for headpiece 

 Sian has posed a couple of questions for me to consider.

1) I commented that I think the flower could have benefited from having a stem and being slightly raised - why didn't I act on that at the time and make it so?  When I tried it out on my head (with flat hair!) it was fine - the flower sat comfortably.  When I tried it on my model after I finished she had more of a lift to her hair so the band sat lower 'in' her hair.  I hadn't considered how hair differed on people before (although it seems obvious now!)

2) I didn't make a mock up of my design before I went ahead and cracked on with it (I did try things out as I went along and did spend a lot of time cutting out petals from paper and adjusting them etc to get to the point I really wanted e.g. number of petals, the shape, the size - I just didn't document that part or, indeed, explain this in my post) - I agree that I should have created a complete mock-up instead of working along with my general idea.  This is something I recognise the benefit of and will take on board for the next module. 

3) The finish of the petals is a lot looser than the wrapped-round edges on the resolved sample.  I think this adds a certain delicacy to the flower visually but with greater embellishment the edges would have been crisper as the petals would have been denser (and thinner).  I backed the petals with another sturdy felt to give them more strength but I do wonder about the practical nature of the headpiece and whether the petals themselves would withstand multiple times of several hours of wearing.

Now onto Module 4! 

No comments:

Post a Comment