Sunday 5 July 2015

Chapter 10/11 - Resolved Piece

As with most of my work I spent a lot of time thinking about what I was going to make without actually achieving a thing!  I contemplated making a brooch, a facinator, a headband and a crazy hat.  In the end I settled on a headband/facinator as I had recently been to a wedding and found that I wished I had bought one for the event!


I stayed with the module colours of orange/red and green and decided to make the fabric that I would use from felt.

Image 1 - Design worksheet:

Headpiece


Image 2 - Carding the felt to blend together yellow and orange:

Module 3 Chapter 10


Image 3 - Laying out the felt tops on a tray (I decided to 'do' my felting the 'quick and dirty' way which involved covering it over with a piece of net, saturating with soapy water and rubbing throughly):

Module 3 Chapter 10


Image 4 - first layer on my vintage tray (ha!):

Module 3 Chapter 10


Image 5 - More layers and the addition of threads:

Module 3 Chapter 10


Image 6 - Felt with silver thread in:

Module 3 Chapter 10


Image 7 - Felt with threads and sequins:

Module 3 Chapter 10


Image 8 - The felt I chose to use:

Headband


Image 9 - Hand embroidery on felt (which has been backed with manufacturered yellow felt):




Image 10 - Petal templates overlaid onto felt:




Image 11 - Curling silver wire:




Image 12 - Cut petals and wires with beads held together (before sewing) to see what they looked like:

Headband 


Image 13 - I considered revertering to a brooch for a while but decided a headband would be better.  Here I have temporarily attached spirals of wire (which were actually from an old notebook - wrapped in green fabric (from earlier in the module) and silver wire with beads sewn on) using thick wire and I then I wrapped them with thread and sewed them onto the band:





Image 14 - Finished headband/fascinator:

Headband


Image 15 - Close up of the wire spirals:

Headband


Image 16 - The band which has been wrapped in fabric:

Headband


Image 17 - Close up of the flower:

Headband


Image 18 - The fascinator/headband as modelled by the lovely Emily Stevens:

Headpiece


I'm quite happy with the outcome but now I have to make a box to house my fascinator in as it's not the easiest thing to store!

No comments:

Post a Comment