Monday 17 January 2011

Inlay Appliqué – Stitch Practice

I haven’t done any inlay appliqué before so I followed the advice of the chapter and had a go.  Now I was a bit daft because I didn’t attach the pieces of fabric to a rigid support like brown paper.  I didn’t have any to hand at the time and I’m of the impatient variety.  So I used two dried out (unused) wet wipes (they were the closest thing to hand).  For some bizarre reason I thought they’d be stiff enough.  Well I now my mistake now!
Image 1 – Fabric tacked onto base:Sample
Image 2 – Simple insertion stitch:Sample Close-Up 1
Image 3 – Looking at this I’m not entirely sure what this is – I appear to have followed the diagrams wrong but I rather like it anyway.  It was an attempt at faggotting but has most definitely gone wrong!:Sample Close-Up 2
Image 4 – Buttonhole insertion stitch:Sample Close-Up 3
Buttonhole insertion stitch was quite quick and gives a really lose join.
Image 5 – Knotted insertion stitch:Sample Close-Up 4
I had a bit of trouble getting the hang of where to knot with the knotted insertion stitch!
Image 6 – Plaited insertion stitch (my favourite!):Sample Close-Up 5
Plaited insertion stitch took a bit of concentration and I went a little wrong but I really enjoyed it!
Image 7 – Beaded insertion stitch:Sample Close-Up 6
The beaded insertion stitch is very quick and really easy yet gives quite a striking join.
Image 8 – Finished:Sample Finished
It’s a tad wonky but was only a practice sample so I’m happy enough

No comments:

Post a Comment