Monday 15 July 2013

Chapter 3 – Monoprinting on Dyed Fabric

I got out my trusty picture frame that gets used a lot for monoprinting and investigated my acrylic paint section.  I have hundreds of those little tubes but I have recently seen the benefit of getting some big mamma tubes.  Anyhoo I decided to work with what I have (Must. Stop. Spending. Money.) and mixed a colour with a little fabric medium and a tiny weeny bit of water (to make it more fluid but not so much to make it seep through the fabric in a sloshy mess).

Image 1 – glass plate ready to apply fabric to:

Chapter 3

 

Image 2 – fabric after three prints:

Chapter 3

 

Image 3 – This time I lay down a thin layer of paint and then swirled in it with the corner of a credit card (the paint isn’t as dark as it looks in the image):

Chapter 3

 

Image 4 – And again (the paint is lighter than the photo depicts):

Chapter 3

 

Image 5 – Another one with lines painted on the glass:

Chapter 3

 

Image 6 – And again (the paint is lime green I promise):

Chapter 3

 

Image 7 – Having a play:

Chapter 3

 

Image 8 – Thicker paint this time (as it was more fluid in tube it was easier to paint without having to do anything much to it):

Chapter 3

 

Image 9 – Double printing:

Chapter 3

I wanted to share with you a print that I took at the Distant Stitch Summer School this year where I used acrylic paint which had already had textile medium mixed in (the paint was creamy and delight to work with).

Image 10 – I have painted onto the underside of a glass cutting plate (a kitchen accessory) as the top side is not smooth.  There are vague spirals in the pattern so I can justify adding the photo here!:

Distant Stitch Summer School 2013

 

Image 11 – the print on white fabric (it’s very vibrant):

Distant Stitch Summer School 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment