Sunday 15 May 2011

Chapter 2 – Tonal Column in Stitchery

First I began by experimenting with some black yarn on a piece of canvas trying out different thicknesses (of the same yarn) and some pattern overlapping to build up a little confidence.

Image 1 – Practice canvas:

Experimenting

Image 2 – close up of practice canvas:

Experimenting - layering stitches

I wanted to try white under black – to fill the canvas holes.

Image 3 – black over white:

Experimenting - black on white stitching

With some practice done to build up a bit of confidence I set to it.  Here’s my final sample:

Image 4 – tone by stitch:

Tonal Column - Front

Images 5/6/7 – close ups

Tonal Column Close 1

Tonal Column Close 2

Tonal Column Close 3

Image 8 – Sian suggested looking at the reverse of the piece and I really rather like the effect (I think the haphazard stitching on the reverse, especially the black stitches over the white to the left, is interesting):

Tonal Column - Reverse

Images 9/10 – Close up of the reverse:

Tonal Column - Reverse Close 1

Tonal Column - Reverse Close 2

No comments:

Post a Comment