Saturday 23 April 2011

Resolved Design

I started my resolved piece by making a base piece of blue fabric scraps stitched together.

Image 1 – Blue base

Chapter 11 - Base Layer

Then I layered up yellow fabric scraps holding them down with pins (the fabric is on a piece of corrugated cardboard so that I could stab the pins into it) .

Image 2:

Chapter 11 - Layering Scraps 1

Image 3:

Chapter 11 - Layering Scraps 7

After putting down a few layers of yellow scraps I then placed six 8x8cm squares of fabric on top…

Image 4:

Chapter 11 - Placing the Squares 1

…and then covered the entire piece with gold organza and tacked it all into place.

Image 5:

Chapter 11 - Organza Layer

I traced my chosen pattern onto tissue paper, tacked this onto the piece and stitched with my sewing machine (small running stitch).

Image 6:

Chapter 11 - Tissue Paper 1

After all the lines were stitched I carefully removed the tissue paper.

Image 7:

Chapter 11 - Stitched Outlines 1

With all the preparation done I started slashing! 

And then stopped. 

I decided halfway through that I didn’t like what I was doing.  I left it a while and returned to it today in a far better mood about it!  So I carried on slashing!

Image 8 – The resolved piece:

Chapter 11 - Resolved Piece Finished

Image 9 – The bottom left part of the piece which is very textured and the shapes are difficult to see clearly:

Chapter 11 - Resolved Piece Detail 9

Image 10 – The top right corner where the layers are cut away to show clear distinction in shape:

Chapter 11 - Resolved Piece Detail 11

No comments:

Post a Comment