Wednesday 28 December 2011

Chapter 6 – Shibori and Resist

I’m afraid I can’t say my attempts at Shibori dying went particularly well but here are the outcomes anyway!

Tie Die

Image 1:  Here I scrunched up the fabric and affixed bulldog clips at various points:

Shibori Attempt

Image 2:  Here I scrunched the fabric into a ball and added lots of elastic bands

Shibori Attempt

Image 3:  As with the one above I scrunched up the fabric and tied elastic bands

Shibori Attempt

Image 4:  I created little ‘bubbles’ of fabric and tied them tightly with string

Shibori Attempt

Tritik Shibori

Image 5:  The fabric was gathered in a radiating pattern

Shibori Attempt

Image 6: The stitches were parallel and when pulled tight the fabric concertinaed

Shibori Attempt

Image 7:  Stitches over the fabric were random and pulled tight to cause a really ruched effect.  I dabbed the paint on instead of submerging it into a dye bath

Shibori Attempt

Resist

I wanted to try a resist technique using a flour-water paste.  I mixed the flour and water until it was very gloopy and then painted it onto the fabric.  I had to let the paste dry thoroughly.  Then I added dye to the fabric with a paintbrush.  After it was washed the colour faded considerably to grey.  Whilst the results aren’t full of contrast I like the subtlety of the colouring.  Image 10 is my favourite of the entire bunch.

Image 8:  The paste was painted in stripes

Shibori Attempt

Image 9:  The paste was painted in hoops

Shibori Attempt

Image 10:  The paste was painted in a fish-scale pattern

Shibori Attempt

What could I do better next time?

That’s an easy question – I won’t dilute the dye powder so much!  Also leave any fabric in the dye bath for longer – I’m quite impatient sometimes!  I would also like to use wax as a resist (but I’ll have to find a melting pot first!).  Of everything I enjoyed the resist work the most.  I don’t know why I didn’t feel excited by the Shibori methods, I guess we can’t like everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment